– Clinical Practice Pharmacist. MRPharmS, ClinDip, IPresc
Graduated Aston University, Birmingham 1995.
Qualified after completing pre-registration year at the Bristol Royal Infirmary 1996
Bethan joined Air Balloon Surgery in July 2007.
She has a valuable and innovatory role for a pharmacist within a doctor’s surgery. Bethan’s role as Clinical Practice Pharmacist includes:
- Running review clinics for patients with chronic kidney disease, hypertension, high cholesterol levels, asthma and COPD
- General medication reviews
- Home visits for patients unable to get to the surgery for reviews
- Medication reviews with nursing home patients
- Organising compliance aids for patients
- Reviewing medication changes after hospital discharge
- Audit work to ensure the practice is using the most cost effective and evidence based treatment
- Completing work for the Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire CCG Prescribing Quality Scheme
Bethan obtained her Clinical Pharmacy Diploma at St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester after gaining experience in many different aspects of clinical pharmacy.
She moved back to Bristol in 1999 where she worked first, Bethan then spent six years at Frenchay hospital, working on all medical and surgical wards.
The final 4 years at Frenchay were spent working as the Neurosciences Directorate Pharmacist.
Bethan joined Bristol PCT as the Specialist Pharmacist in Epilepsy and Parkinson’s disease in 2005.
She qualified as a non-medical independent prescriber in 2006.
In April 2016 Bethan was appointed as Senior Pharmacist in the National Clinical Pharmacist GP Practice Pilot.
This pilot scheme aims to increase the number of pharmacists working in GP practices across the UK, something that Air Balloon Surgery has had for the last 10 years!
Bethan continues to support this pilot scheme, and is now a clinical mentor for pharmacists entering phase 2 of the pilot.