Minor Illness Clinics are held Monday to Fridays, mornings and afternoons, and Thursday evenings.
Some of our Practice Nurses are trained to run this very successful service. Appointments can usually be made on the same day or up to two days ahead.
The receptionists are trained to help patients decide if a minor illness nurse can help them. Please help them to help you by giving them as much information as possible when you are asking for an appointment. Everything is treated with complete confidentiality.
Prescriptions are available from the nurse run minor illness sessions.
Conditions the Nurse can treat in this clinic are:
- Upper Respiratory Conditions - coughs/colds/flu, sore throat, sinusitis, earache, hayfever
- Musculoskeletal Conditions - minor injuries, back/neck pain, sprains
- Women’s Health - thrush, vaginal discharge, emergency Contraception - and follow up for oral contraception
- Urological Conditions - cystitis and urine infection
- Dermatological Conditions – eczema, skin rash, sunburn, insect bites and stings
- Gastrointestinal Conditions - diarrhoea/vomiting, constipation, haemorrhoids, thread worms
There are some urgent conditions which are excluded from the Minor Illness Clinic as they will require a doctors opinion:
- Children under one year of age
- Severe chest pain or severe difficulty breathing
- Coughing / vomiting blood
- Sudden loss of sight
- Bleeding profusely from any orifice
- Patients requiring Sick notes
- Patients who only want to see the Doctor
- Women who are pregnant
- Eye Conditions – including conjunctivitis, styes, sore eyes, swollen eyelids