In the clinic you will be given support in working through the various stages of stopping, as in:
- Thinking about stopping
- Preparing to stop (proper planning will make you much more likely to succeed),
- Setting a quit date and sticking to it.
- Staying stopped (changing your attitude to smoking and your life style).
- Dealing with relapses (You haven't failed - so don't feel guilty, you have learnt valuable lessons that can help you next time.)
The Health Benefits of giving up:
- Blood pressure & pulse return to normal, along with circulation to hands and feet. Within 20minutes of stopping.
- Blood oxygen levels increase to normal, and your chances of having a heart attack start to fall. Within 8 hours of stopping.
Carbon monoxide leaves the body, allowing the lungs to clear out mucus and debris. Within 24 hours of stopping.
- Your body is now nicotine free, your sense of taste and smell begin to improve. Within 48 hours of stopping.
- Breathing is easier, and your energy levels increase. Within 72 hours of stopping.
- Circulation improves throughout the body, making exercise easier. Within 2-12 weeks of stopping.
- Breathing problems improve and lung efficiency is increased by 5-10%. Within 3-9 months of stopping.
- Risk of a heart attack fall to about half that of a smoker. After 5 years after stopping.
- Risk of lung cancer falls to around half that of a smoker and the risk of a heart attack falls to the same as someone that has never smoked.
- So make an appointment now and don't put off giving up!
Useful External Links: